Over the last few days, I have taken to the online world of Instagram to find get some research on reusable wipes. From the people who took part here is what I found:
- A whopping 77% did not know reusable wipes even existed meaning only 23% of people have heard of them.
- Only 1 out of 47 people use reusable wipes.
- 52% of people would think of trying reusable wipes.
- 48% would not try reusable wipes.
I asked why you would not be willing to use reusable wipes:
- It’s easier to use disposable wipes.
- They no longer use nappies, so no need for reusables, easier to purchase disposable wipes.
- Unsure whether to invest as there aren’t many companies offering reusable wipes.
- Unsure on the process of cleaning the reusable baby wipes.
I have recently made the change from disposable baby wipes to REUSABLE WIPES. See how we got on!
The last 10 months have been crazy. I never fully expected the amount of stuff we would need for two babies. Double the clothes, double the bibs, double the nappies and of course double the wipes. Our house has been full of so much crap, baby crap, you know ‘just in case’ we ever needed the stuff. But we never did.
When the girls were in their first few months, we went through so many packs of wipes. I was so thankful for our Costco card for reduced Pampers prices but it was still really expensive with the amount I used each day.
As the girls got bigger and teething hit us so hard, Penelope was fine, she breezed through getting her two bottom teeth but Lola, not so much. She has always been a little needier and can really struggle with discomfort more than her sister. They will both bang heads when they’re playing, Penelope with laugh and Lola will burst into a waterfall of tears! Lola has really struggled with her teeth from day one, dribbling, swollen gums and of course, a runny bum. She got the worst nappy rash I’ve ever seen with all my kids. It was so sore, I tried cream after cream after cream, but nothing worked. I took her to the doctors where we were given some antifungal cream to be used with every nappy change, but after 2/3 days of use, it was getting horrendous. I took her back to the doctors who advised me that she had an allergic reaction to the cream, she was given steroid cream to try and make the sores better.
I had enough, I couldn’t see my baby in so much pain anymore. It hurt her to sit down, to have a nappy on, to go in the bath, to have cream on, it was awful. I started researching into different ways to help and sooth nappy rash. Lola’s nappy rash started to clear up and I didn’t want to use steroid cream as a long term solution, so I decided it was time to make a change.
Chamomile Essential Oil
After scrolling through many pages of information, chamomile oil came up at the top of my list of natural remedies to use. It is safe to use on children including babies, and is an agent of general skin health and has been used successfully to treat upset, reddened skin – or so the internet told me.
I needed to use this on the daily routine of my babes but I didn’t know where to start.
Reusable wipes came up on a search with infusing the water with chamomile essential oil, they were something I have never thought about before. I couldn’t help but feel like they would be time-consuming and I thought they wouldn’t be as hygienic as a normal baby wipe. In my head I wasn’t sure, but I know I needed to change something and the chemicals in the baby wipes were not working for us. But seriously, what did I have to lose? I just wanted my babe to feel more comfortable.
Ordering Reusable Baby Wipes
I posted onto a twin mum forum for advice on reuable wipe brands, to which one of the other twin mama’s advised ‘Cheeky Wipes’. I went onto their website and they offered an ‘all in one kit’ basically everything you need for beginners.
I ordered the Rainbow Cotton Terry Zero Twist at £43.99 for the full set.
The main reasons I LOVE CHEEKY WIPES:
- They’re easy to use
- Cost effective
- Easy to clean
- Smell amazing
- I can take them anywhere
- They’re great for bums and faces
What is it really like to use reusable wipes?
At first, I was very skeptical. The hygiene side, would they be clean to use, covered in poo on a daily basis? Would they smell? Would they stain? Are they durable? How many will I need for two babies and a toddler?
My order arrived by Royal Mail and I honestly was really quite excited to see what Cheeky Wipes had to offer. It was so neatly packed and was so easy to set up. It came with a starter guide on how to set up your wipes, use them, soak them until the next wash, wash them, how to store them when out and about. Every question I could think of in my head was right in front of me on the leaflet, and if I was stuck for anything there was plenty of videos online showing how to use the reusable wipes.
I set up my wipes, I filled the clean box with water, 3 drops of lavender and chamomile essential oil and added in the cloth wipes. I then set up the mucky box with water and 4 drops of lemon and tea tree essential oil. I’ve got to say, both of the oils smelt amazing, they both smelt so good I put some in my diffuser! The lemon and tea tree oil does really cover up any dirty smells of soaking mucky wipes and the soaking prevents any staining!
The wipes don’t go crusty or dry out in any of the boxes either, as long as you follow the instructions, they stay clean and smelling lovely!
I was worried they wouldn’t be hygenic but they wash up brilliantly. You can add your wipes into any mixed coloured wash load, but i prefer to wash them on their own on a 38 minute 40 degree wash. Every other wash, I tumble dry the wipes to make sure all of the germs are killed in the hot air. They also go super fluffy again too, just like how towels do. Here is what I add to my wash with the wipes:
Do you ever wipe poo and it smears with a disposable wipe, so frantically pull another one out and 10 come out of the packet?! It’s frustrating as hell. I hate it so much! These wipes literally get all of the poo off a babies bum, I only ever use one wipe per nappy change which is brilliant. I wipe, fold, wipe, fold, etc. Theres no more wasting wipes, no frustration of not getting baby wipes out of the packet and no wastage wipes! (Great for the environment).
Already, these wipes have been so cost effective, I have saved so much on disposable wipes and you can also take these wipes out and about with you with the bags which come with the set. I bought these wipes in January and I usually go through a box of baby wipes (usually £12 per box) every 2 weeks, so far roughly I’ve saved £96 on baby wipes. That’s a massive saving in 4 months! Not only do they help my pocket they are great for the environment, as there’s also no baby wipes or the packaging they come in going into the bin.
The main thing for me, is that they have really helped with Lola’s nappy rash, we haven’t had an episode of severe nappy rash in weeks, but now she is having a little bit of a sore bum again it’s only a little bit so we can get on with our normal day with no amateur dramatics, which is ace. I would have paid any amount to make sure she doesn’t go through what she has, so it’s been so good in terms of being so uncomfortable and sore down there.
I am actually a convert and currently looking into investing in the makeup wipes to see how they are! Anyone who is thinking of getting these, you should order them! I wish I had these in my life sooner, I really do! Cheeky Wipes do special offers each month so don’t miss out!
Travel bags, with unzip mesh insert on the mucky bag.
How do I use the wipes? (taken from the Cheeky Wipes web)
- Fill your ‘Fresh Wipes’ container to the bottom fill level with water and 4 – 5 drops of the ‘Fresh Wipes’ essential oil blend. Then pop your lovely soft cloth baby wipes into the ‘Fresh Wipes’ container, turn them over once or twice hey presto they’re ready to use!
- Prepare your ‘Mucky Wipes’ container by filling with water to the fill level marked, then add 3 – 4 drops of the ‘Mucky Wipes’ essential oil blend to keep those mucky baby wipes sweet.
- Use the wipes for cleaning bums, faces, hands, whatever needs cleaning!
- Once you’ve used the wipes, place them inside the clever mesh wash bag in the ‘Mucky Wipes’ container. This saves you having to touch those mucky things again.
No extra washing…or drying required!
- Your mesh bag of mucky baby wipes can go straight into the washing machine (30 – 60-degree wash is fine!) with your next load of washing – your baby wipes come out spankingly clean.
- Washing at 60c once a week (with your towels or bedding for example) or occasionally using an anti-bacterial washing solution will help keep them in tip-top condition. ( I do use anti-bacterial washing solution, Detol)
- No need to dry them if you’re in a hurry, just place them back in the ‘Fresh Wipes’ box with some fresh essential oil solution. However, getting them out on the washing line helps keep them hygienic too!
Traveling or just popping out for a playdate?
- Just pop some clean damp baby wipes into your waterproof ‘Fresh Wipes’ bag and off you go!
- After use, drop the mucky baby wipes into the mesh insert in the ‘Mucky Wipes’ bag.
- Back home, throw them into the wash with a normal load.
Reusable Cloth Baby Wipes ‘All in One Kit’ From Cheeky Wipes – What does it come with?
- 25 – Soft cloth baby wipes, 15 cm x 15 cm choose from a range of different fabrics (there are different ranges of fabric, some better for faces, some for bums and some which are good for either)
- ‘Single-Clip’ Fresh Baby Wipes container
- ‘Single-Clip’ Mucky Baby Wipes container – with mesh bag insert
- Cheeky Wipes Fresh Baby Wipes waterproof out and about travel bag
- Cheeky Wipes Mucky Baby Wipes waterproof out and about travel bag – with mesh bag insert
- Either 10 ml bottle of Fresh Baby Wipes Essential Oil Blend – choose from Lavender & Chamomile, Mandarin or Rose & Rose Geranium (I chose lavender and chamomile)
- 10 ml bottle of Tea Tree & Tea Tree Lemon Mucky Baby Wipes Essential Oil Blend
I also ordered an extra mesh wash bag and also 25 extra rainbow wipes as back up.